As most of the Northeast woke up to nearly a foot of snow, I thought it would be cool to look at all the ways people can currently score points for winter-related activities!
- Ice Skating – Perhaps a little bit debatable, because it mostly depends on how vigorous you skate, but ice skating is a great way to have some good, wholesome fun with your friends and family. I highly recommend it; check out the Rotary Rink in Buffalo!
- Downhill Skiing – One of my family’s favorite winter activities, downhill skiing is a ton of fun. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is a great workout, especially for beginners.
- Cross-Country Skiing – This is my personal favorite, ever since I was a little kid. I love being able to just pop on some skis and go out into the golf course, or even around the neighborhood when there is enough snow. It is one of the best cardio workouts you’ll ever get, so give it a shot!
- Snowboarding – It just looks cool! But be warned, your butt will hurt. Takes a while to get used to, but it is a ton of fun.
- Snowshoeing – This has got to be one of the hardest winter workouts you can do. I’m sure with high-tech equipment it may be easier, but damn, walking through the snow is WERK.
- Shoveling Snow – This isn’t a ton of fun, but it is a necessity of the winter. Make sure you submit when you do it, because it is for sure a great workout. Just try not to lift with your back, please!
If there are any other workouts that you love to do in the snow, please let me know! I’d be more than happy to add them into the system. As always, be safe in any activity you choose to do. For those just starting to ski, resist the urge to follow friends up the hill to more difficult slopes than you are ready for. There is no shame in skiing at your level.I personally love winter, though it is super important to keep powering through and getting good workouts in. Not only will it help keep the winter pounds from piling on, it will also help your general mood. Shorter days means less time to play out in the sun, and that always gets spirits down. Head out into the cold and have a blast.