Eat Fit Not Fat- Roasted Tomato Basil Ravioli
For my Birthday this year I received a subscription to a wonderful magazine by the name of Cooking Light from the fabulous Jono and Ellie Bard. In my first issue I found this weeks recipe. The picture jumped out at me on page 123 and screamed “make me and put me in your mouth immediately!” Seeing I have been depriving myself of carbs lately I decided to indulge myself in some healthy pasta this week. This is also a great recipe for all my friends out there with their own backyard gardens wanting to use their overflow of fresh grown cherry/grape tomatoes and basil. This brightly flavored dish will definitely be on the rotation at the Bohlson household.
Ingredients:1 package ravioli (12-20oz) ( I bought the family size package so we could have enough for dinner for 2 nights. We used fresh ravioli, feel free to use frozen, works just as well) 1-2 pints of cherry or grape tomatoes 1 tbsp of fresh basil, diced 2-3 shallots cut into wedges 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 1/4tsp kosher salt 1/4tsp black pepper parmesan for sprinkling
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut shallots into equal sized wedges. Slice half of the tomatoes and place shallots and tomatoes onto a baking pan or jelly roll pan.
2) Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over shallots and tomatoes, toss together and place in oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle remaining olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper over tomatoes and shallots. Place back into oven and roast for an additional 5-10 minutes.
3) Prepare pasta according to box directions, omit salt and fat if so desired.
4) Toss pasta with tomato and shallot mixture. Equally divide ravioli’s onto plates and top with shredded basil and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
* Cooking Light’s recipe suggests cooking temp for tomatoes and shallots at 425, based upon reviews I dropped it to 375 degrees and reduced cooking time.
* Next time I would have used two pints of tomatoes instead of one.
Calorie Break Down
Eat Fit Not Fat- Roasted Tomato Basil Ravioli- Appox 420 calories per serving, 18 grams of fat (my box of ravioli provided 13 ravioli per serving)
Olive Garden- Ravioli de Portobello – 670 calories and 30 grams of fat
Bertucci’s 4 Cheese Ravioli- 925 calories and 29 grams of fat.
Recipe adapted from : http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-ravioli-50400000129494/