Eat Fit Not Fat- Chocolate Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes
It’s dessert time again in the Bohlson kitchen! These cupcakes were too good to be true. This week’s recipe is dedicated to my lovely co-worker, Speech and Language Pathologist, Catherine Geary. She made these Kick A$$ treats for my birthday 3 weeks ago. My speech girls all know my favorite desserts usually consist of peanut butter and chocolate, so this was perfect. All of my co-workers raved all afternoon about how moist the cake was and how the frosting was so creamy No one could believe these cupcakes were under 200 calories! Best of all, there is not a single ounce of butter, oil or egg in them. So go ahead and lick the bowl, I know I did!
- Reese’s Cups (Mini) – Frozen
- Devil’s Food Cake – Chocolate Mix
- Approx 9oz of Sparkling/Seltzer Water – any brand will work
- 1/4 cup of Plain Lowfat Yogurt/non-fat yogurt
- 1 8oz tub of Cool Whip
- 3 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
- 3 teaspoons of Brown Sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or as directed on cake box)
1) Combine cake mix with 9 oz of sparkling/seltzer water. Then add ¼ cup of yogurt. You can use a stand mixer or wooden spoon. Use what you have
2) Spoon cake batter into cupcake tins. Top each “raw” cupcake with 1 frozen Reese’s cup. Press into batter slightly.
3) Bake cupcakes according to box directions. I baked mine for approx 24 minutes. (My batter did not end up covering the peanut butter cups during baking like the original recipe, oh well!) Remove from oven and transfer to cooling racks.
4) To make frosting, combine 8 oz of cool whip, 3 tsp of brown shower in bowl/mixer. Add 2 tbsp of peanut butter. Mix on high till fully blended. Scrape edges as needed.
5) Transfer frosting to zip lock bag if so desired and refrigerate as you wait for cup cakes to cool. Use ziplock bag as a piping bag for your frosting by slicing off the corner.
6) Refrigerate overnight if using/eating/indulging the following day.
Recipe adapted from : http://www.createliveblog.com/2011/09/reeses-cupcakes.html
Calorie Break Down:
Eat Fit Not Fat PB&C Cupcake- Approx 180 calories, depending on how many in your batch.
Pillsbury Funfetti Cupcake- 240 calories
Magnolia Bakery Cupcake (New York City) – 400 calories (info taken from myfitnesspal.com)
Barefoot Contessa’s Chocolate Cupcake with Peanut Butter Frosting- 270 calories