A few weeks ago my cousin was nice enough to put together a bit of a weight training plan for me. He is a pretty experienced trainer and I knew from his experiences as well as from sessions my brother used to do with him, that they can be pretty intense. I’ve been looking over what he sent me, and finally took the plunge on Tuesday evening, probably prompted by my dream sequence of the boilermaker.
Day one of my schedule is the following:
- Goblet Squats : 3 sets of 8 reps. I choose to do the exercise with 10 pounds of added weight
- Pushups : 2 sets of 8 reps, 1 set of as many reps as possible (I did 13!)
- Front Planks: 2 sets of 10 seconds… though I extended it out to 30 seconds
- Dumbbell Rows : 3 sets of 8 reps — 5 pounds in each hand
- Split Squats : 3 sets of 8 reps
- Side Planks : 2 sets of 10 seconds… though i did 20 seconds each.
- Crunches : 2 sets of 20
- Reverse Crunches : 2 sets of 20
A pretty nice routine, even better is that I can do all of these at home right now. No real equipment needed.
The past two days however, have been very painful. Tuesday was the first time in my whole life, and I really believe this is true, that I’ve ever done squats before. Especially Goblet Squats. My quads have been so incredibly sore, and I’ve made it known to Ellie who I’m sure is ready for me to zip it.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with a Goblet Squat, see exhibit A:
I can feel it in my quads, hamstrings and ghetto booty. It feels like I really did something productive. I like it! Now I am excited to work through Day Two of his program today… though I’ll have to figure out how to get through more squats.
As a public service announcement, guys it is valentines day. Don’t screw it up. #GuyCode