Grilling season has finally arrived here in New England! Mike and I were super stoked to fire up the grill this week now that the warmer weather is here to stay (fingers crossed). Mexican as you all know is one of our favorite food groups, so for our inaugurative grill session of the season we decided to cook up some shrimp taco's. A spicy mango slaw accompanies our jumbo shrimp to make for one heck of a healthy and delicious meal. Tip of the Day: Grilling is a great way to cut calories and fat on common foods we pan fry/bake and saute. Just remember to go light on the olive oil 🙂
Makes approx 6 servings (depending on how many shrimp you receive in 1 lb. bag )
- 12 corn tortillas
For the marinade/slaw sauce:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (approx. 2 limes)
- zest of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely diced jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves minced garlic
For the slaw:
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1/2 of marinade above
For the shrimp:
- 1 lb. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- remaining 1/2 of marinade above
For the chipotle cream sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle chilis in adobo sauce ( we added a touch more... we like it spicy!)
- Splash of lime juice if so desired
1. Juice 2 limes which equals approx 1/4 cup. Place aside. Tip: rolling the lime with the palm of your hand back and forth a couple of times will help bring the juices out of the lime when you juice them. ( I hope that makes sense)
2. Use a microplaner or similar tool to zest the outer skin of the 2 limes that were juiced. Dice approx 1 jalapeno (should amount to approx 2 tbsp.) Chop cilantro and mince garlic. Place aside.
3. Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, jalapeño pepper, honey, cumin, garlic, chili powder, and salt.
4. Place cleaned shrimp with tails on into a Ziploc bag. Pour 1/2 of the marinade into bag with shrimp. Toss together and place in fridge for appox. 30 minutes.
1. Slice red cabbage in half and then in quarters. Cut out white core. Chop/shred cabbage into thin strips. Place into medium size bowl.
2. Dice mango and place in bowl with red cabbage. For tips on cutting a mango, check out this website: How to cut a mango
3. Toss together mango, chopped onion, red cabbage and the remaining 1/2 marinade. Cover and place in refrigerator.
Fire up that Grill!
Wrap tortilla's in foil. Skewer shrimp. We ended up with 5 shrimp per skewer. Place extra marinade in small bowl. Carry platter out to grill.
Chiptole Cream Sauce
Meanwhile, dice chipotle pepper, approx. 1 tsp worth and mix with 1/2 cup of low-fat sour cream. Add splash of lime juice if you need to thin your cream sauce or add some extra zest!
Grill shrimp over medium heat, turning once, for approximately 5 to 8 minutes, until the shrimp turn opaque. While the shrimp are grilling, place the wrapped tortillas on the grill as well to warm.
Remove shrimp and tortilla's from grill. Remove shrimp from skewers and remove tails from each shrimp.
Place a couple spoonfuls of slaw on top of warm tortilla. Top slaw with 3 shrimp and a spoonful of chipotle cream sauce. Spritz lime juice on top and serve.
Don't be overwhelmed by the list of ingredients, it comes together pretty quickly. And of course, it tastes pretty darn good.
Calorie Break Down:
Eat Fit Not Fat - Grilled Shrimp Tacos- 165 calories per taco, 330 calories per 2 taco serving.
Chili's Spicy Grilled Shrimp Tacos- 1080 calories, 49 grams of fat
Recipe adapted from: http://unsophisticook.com/grilled-shrimp-tacos/