Ok, so it was way to hot to fire up the oven/stove this week. So I went the dessert route again. In honor of 4th of July weekend I decided to craft up some red, white and blue healthy ice pops. I replaced ice cream/ pudding and sugar with Greek yogurt, fresh berries and honey. This dessert was super easy to make and was so very refreshing on a 95 degree day.
Makes 8 popsicles
1 cup non-fat Greek Yogurt
2 tbsp honey
1 pint blueberries
1/2 lb. strawberries, hulled
popsicle holders (I picked mine up at Target for approx $2)
1) Hull ( remove green ends) from strawberries. Set aside.
2)In a bowl, stir to combine yogurt and honey. Set aside.
3)Place blueberries in food processor or blender. Process on high until a smooth puree forms ( about 30 sec-1min) Set aside in seperate bowl. Repeat process with strawberries.
4) Create an assembly line of popsicle holders, berries and yogurt.
5) Place 2 spoonfuls of yogurt/honey mixture into popsicle holders.
6)Spoon 2 spoonfuls of blueberry puree ontop of yogurt.
7) Spoon 2 spoonfuls of strawberry puree ontop of blueberry puree.
8) Use knife or popsicle stick to swirl 3 colors together. Place popsicle sticks into mixture.
9) Freeze for 3-4 hours. Run warm water briefly over popsicle holder when removing by pulling gently on the stick.
Serve on a hot summer day for peak enjoyment and smiles 🙂
Calorie Break Down:
Eat Fit Not Fat- Firecracker Ice Pops- Approx 75 calories per popsicle
Good Humor Snack Pops- 100 calories
Hagan Daz Ice Cream Pop- 280 calories
Weight Watchers Ice Cream Pop- 90 calories
Recipe adapted from: http://spoonful.com/recipes/red-white-and-blue-popsicles