This weeks recipe was partly inspired by a coworker of mine who pretty much runs a small farm in her backyard. She was generous enough to share with us her own bounty this week and brought XXL fresh zucchinis and cucumbers in for all of us. Delish! Thanks Katie 🙂 Again, with help from some crafty and talented individuals on Pinterest I found a recipe that was super simple and brought a new flavor to our favorite summer veggies. Feel free to try out your own veggies or play around with sauces/seasoning as you so desire. I doubled the sauce because of our XXL zuchinini.
1 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
1 medium yellow squash, cut into matchsticks
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
2 tbsp minced cilantro
1 tbsp minced mint leaves
The dressing: (* we doubled the below measurments secondary to the size of our veggies. Use your best judgement.)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar or honey
1/4 tsp chili garlic paste
1) Cut zuchinni, squash and red pepper into matchstick like pieces. You can also dice or chop them however you wish. We used our mandalin to slice the zuchinni and squash (I used extreme caution and yes, I still have all 10 fingers intact 🙂 )
2) Place sliced veggies in bowl and toss to combine. Place aside. Dice mint and and cilantro and place aside for later.
3) To make dressing. Juice approx 2 limes, enough for 2 tbsp worth. Whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, honey , rice vinegar and garlic chili paste.
4) Top veggies with diced cilantro and mint. Pour dressing over veggies and toss to combine.
5) Enjoy on its own or use as a side dish for your next dinner. We had enough for 4-5 servings and it also tasted great as leftovers.
Mike grilled some delicious chicken and made a side of jasmine rice to compliment our zucchini salad. Overall a fabulous summer meal!
The Calorie Break Down:
Eat Fit not Fat- Summer Thai Salad – 36 calories per serving, serving size 1 cup
Recipe adapted from : http://www.cookincanuck.com/2013/07/tricolor-thai-salad-zucchini-squash/