As promised, I wanted to give a sample workout that I’ll be using over the duration of this challenge. My focus is to build my core strength as well as my general upper body. My first routine that I was given a while back by my cousin is my starting point, and it consists of the following workouts:
- Squats : 5 lb weights, 3 sets of 8 reps.
- Push ups: 2 sets of 8 reps, 1 set of as many as possible
- Front Planks : 2 sets of 30 seconds
- Dumbbell Row : 3 sets of 10 lbs, 8 reps each.
- Split Squats: 3 sets of 8
- Side Planks : 2 sets of 15 seconds
- Split Squats : 3 sets of 8 reps
- Bench Press : (working up the courage to do this)
- Goblet Squat Hold : 8 breaths down
- Assisted Chin ups : 3 sets of 8 (currently at ~65 lbs assisted
My personal recommendation is to focus on the Day 1 exercises, as they are all possible to do in the comfort of your own home. The whole routine usually takes me 10-15 minutes total. If you don’t have weights, or can’t lift weights at all, start with soup cans! Once you feel comfortable with the Day 1 routine, start alternating between Day 1 and 2. Don’t forget to throw in rest days, as well as cardio training!
I am encouraged by all the numbers pouring in from everyone. I hope to see some good improvements over the next six weeks!