I think ice cream is one of those desserts that is perfect anytime of year. Those of you summer only ice cream eaters might change your mind with this recipe 😉 This unfried ice cream recipe was so easy to put together. The finished product is definitely dinner party worthy with friends and family. So go ahead, dig in and get your hands messy!
- 2 cups Special K Cinnamon and Pecan Cereal ( or which every variety of special K you enjoy)
- 2 cups of low fat vanilla ice cream ( I used Edy’s slow churned vanilla bean – 100 calories per half cup)
- 2 tsp light Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Cool Whip and Cherries for topping as desired
1) Scoop out 4 balls of ice cream, 1/2 cup in size and mold into 4 equal balls. Place on parchment paper and freeze for approx 90 min- 2 hours.
2) Pour 2 cups of Special K cereal into a gallon size Zip Lock bag. Crush cereal with hands or a rolling-pin. I found the rolling-pin was much easier and efficient.
3) Place crushed cereal into medium size bowl. Combine 2 tsp of ground cinnamon into ground cereal.
4) Remove ice cream balls from freezer. Roll ice cream into cereal mixture until ice cream is well covered with crushed cereal. I used two small plastic sandwich baggies on my hands to roll ice cream into cereal mixture. Place back into freezer until ready to eat.
5) Remove ice cream from freezer. Now comes the fun part, time to decorate!
Drizzle ice cream with chocolate syrup. Top with a spoonful of cool whip and a cherry.
Approx. 180-190 calories, 4.5 grams of fat per ice cream ball. Depends on your toppings 🙂
Recipe adapted from : http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/05/mexican-unfried-ice-cream.html
Nutritional comparison info taken from My Fitness Pal
Mexican Fried Ice Cream: 1/2 cup- 372 calories
Tempura Fried Ice Cream: 364 calories per serving